C’est une chapelle des Pénitents blancs du XIXe siècle (vers 1830), près de la place Bellevue qui domine le Golfe de St-Tropez. La grange située à sa droite est la chapelle d’origine du XVIIe siècle, vendue comme bien national pendant la Révolution française. En 1790, elle servit à plusieurs reprises de lieu de réunion pour élire la première municipalité républicaine de la commune.
In Cogolin, two chapels bearing the name of Saint Roch were erected side by side during different eras. The first of these, on the right, was built around 1630, then sold off as national property during the French Revolution and converted into an agriculture building. The second, on the left, replaced the older one around 1820. These chapels were home to the Brotherhood of White Penitents, an association of laymen devoted to religious practice. They accompanied the deceased to their final resting place. The Penitents wore a hood and large robe known as a sack. The chapel on the right was restored between 2010 and 2012 and converted for use as an exhibition space. To the left of its entrance, we can see the year 1635 engraved, probably the date of its consecration. To the right, the wall was supported and strengthened in the 18th century with four broad buttresses. The chapel on the left, which is still operational, has a very simple facade, surmounted by a bell gable flanked by two pinnacles. It is adorned with a stained glass window designed by Cogolin artist Jacqueline de Kock. The interior contains the large fresco of the Apocalypse of Saint John, painted by Patrice Henry-Biabaud between 1988 and 1990. To visit this chapel, contact the Demeure Sellier, 46 Rue Nationale.