The Clock Tower


Back list

Cogolin clock tower and boundary wall constituted a defensive system which enclosed the local houses and the seigniorial château.

This gate tower, dating from the late 13th to early 14th centuries, was one of the entrances to the village. Access was gained along a ramp, then over a draw-bridge across a moat. A portcullis, known as a sarrasine, protected the village in the event of danger. This tower was constructed with basalt, a porous, dark grey lava stone, and the rock on which the village of Cogolin was founded. Note the bossed stones, particularly in the quoins, characteristic of the military and seigniorial architecture of this period. A clock was installed here in the second half of the 16th century. The hours were sounded by a bell dating from 1587. It can be found today in the bell tower of the parish church. Its Latin dedication Sancta Maria ora pro nobis, means ‘Saint Mary, pray for us’. The clock was replaced in 1930 with the one still in place on the pediment of the town hall.

Tour de l'Horloge
83310 Cogolin